Thursday, October 13, 2011

Gourd Challenge

At the Sept 1st Friday  Art Walk in NOTO I couldn't resist becoming part of a fun artistic challenge. When I walked into one gallery The Eclective I saw a pile of gourds! Buy a gourd for $10 decorate it any way you want and bring it back to be judged by the public throughout Oct. I picked a beautiful gourd which became quite challenging to my artistic process as its color evolved with cleaning. I finally decided on a theme and design. The photo shows the evolution.  Two sides not showing (you say a gourd has sides? yes this one had 3 definite sides, one reason I was drawn to it) are of the black bird building the nest and setting on the nest. Each gourd at the gallery will sell for $30.00 so this is a true bargain and the proceeds go to the winner's charity of choice. Mine = The Helping Hands Humane Society. Go vote and check out all the other unique gourd creations.
UPDATE! It won and $600 was collected for HHHS. I hope it helps keep some kitties and puppies warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment